Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Car Navigation with a iPhone

If you want to use your iPhone as a GPS in your car, you normally have to buy expensive apps. I found a FREE open source app that works in most countries including Australia, NZ and USA. It has a proper map display, all the usual options and SPOKEN directions, and it really works! You just need a dashboard holder for your phone to see the display and remain legal, but they are available off Ebay for around $5. The name of the app is 'Navfree' and you just have to enter that as a search term in the Itunes App Store and install the right version for your country. I've tested it, and have attached a screen grab from my iPhone that I took when I was parked. This is good working software that is a great alternative to an expensive dedicated GPS. You can also use it when you are walking around which could be handy when visiting a new city.


Website with App information: http://www.navmii.com/navfree/

No comments:

Post a Comment